Suppose we have two buckets and a cauldron. The buckets have a
known volume but no graduations or measuring marks. If we are allowed
to make the following moves:
Then find the smallest number of moves to solve each of the
following cases of the problem.
- Fill a bucket from a faucet,
- Empty a bucket into the cauldron, and
- Pour one bucket into another until the first is empty or the
second is full.
- Put 19 gallons in the cauldron with a 4 gallon bucket and a 9
- Put 16 gallons in the cauldron with a 3 gallon bucket and a 11
- Put 4 gallons in the cauldron with a 5 gallon bucket and a 7
Send your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to Problems